Thursday 23 June 2011

The "Road " To Utopia

It is the rush hour that puts any traffic system to the test. In our case, our system is being put to the test all day every day, except when it's Iftar time in Ramadan or during any Ahly -Zamalek football match.

Drivers or non-drivers, we all know how it is in Cairo. It's horrendous. Zamalek be it or Al-Sayeda Zainab, it's all the same. Even if we estimate that only 2 out of 100 Egyptians obey traffic laws, an important question pops up, "what laws?"

All of us are fed up with the chaos dominating the streets. Streets in this country can be four-way and crossing them requires a hero. Not only that, but our country also gives us all a privilege like no other; we can personalize our number plates in any way we want! , which is absolutely hilarious. I've seen plate numbers so small that you don’t read but decipher! Some people paint their numbers black on black plates, and a third breed doesn't think having a number plate is a must.

Well, enough with the past. Our government has finally woken up from its coma. We all know about the new traffic law. It's very fair, they tell us, it no longer gives privileges to "VIPs", and it's going to make the streets a better home for our cars.

I'm not being cynical or skeptical, I'm just thinking of our officials as I always have until they prove me wrong. A friend of mine was waiting in her car in front of the Egyptian Museum only a few days after the new law came out. A police officer asked her to move the car because she is not allowed to wait in this spot. She slipped five pounds in his pocket, and the poor guy simply walked away.

Another friend of mine was headed to Alexandria, and a police officer stopped her on the way to check the pollution percentage in her exhaust pipe. He checked it with some kind of device, and of course he told her that it's above the acceptable, non-polluting limit and that she has to pay a fifty-pound fine. He gave her a receipt that she put in her pocket. He gave her a P.S. that in spite of having this receipt another officer can stop her on the way back and ask her to pay another fine! Therefore, she has to fix the problem in Alexandria and not wait till she gets back to Cairo.

I have the deepest affection for my country, and I'm not against any laws that might invest in developing a more civilized everyday life for us, Egyptians. I'm just against laws that are only written on paper and are being manipulated by officials to their advantages.

If they want us to clean our exhaust pipes, and fix all with our cars, they have to give us deadlines, not punish us only a few days after the law comes out. We just can't be thrilled about a law that will supposedly put back every one in their place. We have to make sure that those who will carry out these laws are satisfied, and will not accept bribes no matter how small. We have to secure them a humane life so that they can turn a blind eye to breaking the law.

Egyptians are so tired of being spoiled by their government; the government thought it should throw them an imprisonment law just for fun! Now, in our beloved country, if you break a traffic law and not pay your fine immediately, you're taken straight to prison. Drivers who break the red light are currently being equated with thieves. I've never heard of anything more ridiculous. I'd rather pay my inheritance than go to prison, especially in this country. I know they're trying to straighten out the traffic laws, but it's going to be another life time until they do something about the prison system!

I totally agree that when cars park on a second row, it makes streets narrower and slows down the traffic flow. But it's just not realistic to prevent cars from parking on a second row when there isn't any other place to park. Build me the garages, give me the extra space and I'll be more than happy to park my car there.

The attempt seems sincere; I just don’t think it's well-planned out. I'm afraid it's going to make our lives harder than easier. I absolutely back up the unified number plates and the fines for those who break any law. Let's just hope no one thinks of them as identical and gives a ticket to the wrong driver! I also hope it's only a "bumpy" start for a really "smooth" future.

2008

No comments:

Post a Comment